Programs & Services
Connecting supplemental foods, health care referrals and nutrition education with eligible patients and their families.
Please note: WIC appointments are currently scheduled at our Westerly site and are (temporarily) not available at our Hope Valley site. They are also offered certain days at 22 Kersey Road in Peace Dale, RI. See below for times.
WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) is a nutrition program that provides pregnant, breastfeeding, non-breastfeeding, infants and children up to age five with supplemental foods, health care referrals, breastfeeding support and nutrition education.
Wood River Health's WIC program consists of a small, friendly and knowledgeable team that enables them to build strong relationships with clients in a short period of time. Working out of the health center allows them to easily coordinate care with health care providers and refer clients to other services.
Our WIC staff are Certified Lactation Counselors (CLC’s), which means they are certified to provide mothers with breastfeeding education, helpful support and assist with any issues that may arise. They also help mothers obtain a breast pump through their health insurance.
WIC is a supplemental Nutrition Program that provides:
- Nutrition Education
- Breastfeeding Education and Support
- Healthcare Referrals
- Healthy Foods on an e-WIC Card
- Farmers Market Checks
WIC is for:
- Pregnant, Breastfeeding and Postpartum Women
- Children up to age 5
- Foster Children up to age 5
- Mothers, fathers, grandparents, foster parents and other guardians are encouraged to apply for WIC for children (under age 5) in their care
What to bring to your first appointment:
- Proof of Pregnancy (if applicable)
- Proof of Address (a recent piece of mail)
- Any picture ID
- 4 Weeks of Pay Stubs (If you receive Snap, Rite Care or Cash Assistance, you are automatically income eligible)
Download the WIC Income Guidelines in English or in Spanish to learn more about WIC by visiting the United States' Department of Agriculture's Food and Nutrition Service.
WIC at The Jonnycake Center in Peace Dale, RI
WIC is temporarily being offered at the The Jonnycake Center for Hope at 22 Kersey Road in Peace Dale, RI. New patients receive:
- $25 Shaw’s Gift Card (for new WIC clients)
- Infant formula benefits through eWIC
- Diapers and pullups
- Baby wipes
- Infant/child socks
- Child sized underwear
- Access to the Jonnycake Center Market
WIC will be at the Jonnycake Center for Hope from 9 AM to 3:30 PM on the following dates. Please call 401.387.9611 to schedule an appointment.
- May 25 & 26
- June 29 & 30
- July 27 & 28
- August 24 & 25
Any person signing up for WIC must be present at the appointment (infants & children up to age five included). If pregnant, please bring proof of pregnancy. Appointments generally last 15-20 minutes. Height, weight, hemoglobin and an income/nutrition screening will be performed.
WIC Shopper App
Rhode Island WIC is now using the WIC Shopper App, a free and ad-free app that can provide you with:
- Locations of WIC vendors, including listing those closest to you
- Locations of WIC offices
- The WIC food guide, showing all WIC approved foods
- A bar code scanning tool, which will allow you to check whether a food item is on the approve product list. When using this tool, keep in mind that it will show which items are on the approved food list, even if those items are not on your particular food prescription. It’s best to use the scanning tool alongside your own shopping list.
- Other tools, such as easy and healthy recipes you can make with WIC foods, and a tool to request the addition of specific food items to our WIC approved list.
This institution is an Equal Opportunity Provider in accordance with USDA regulations. Non-discrimination information in English and Spanish is available here.
Genoa Healthcare operates onsite at our Hope Valley location. The pharmacy provides Wood River Health’s patients with a convenient option for filling prescriptions where they receive their medical, behavioral health and dental care.
Genoa Healthcare provides specialized pharmacy offerings to simplify the patient’s medication management, such as pre-filled pill organizers to help patients track their medications, convenient medication mailing options and assistance with authorizations and insurance plans.
Wood River Health provides Laboratory Services from East Side Clinical Laboratory and Yale/New Haven Health Westerly Hospital, both at our Hope Valley location. No appointment is necessary. All Wood River Health patients welcome.
Sliding Fee Scale Program
As a Federally Qualified Health Center, we offer a Sliding Fee Scale Program and payment plans.
Wood River Health is accepting new patients! To schedule an appointment at our convenient Hope Valley and Westerly locations, contact us today.